For Your BSA Gridley
Increase Productivity, Thread Quality and Tap Life
Year after year, lost production hours are attributed to mechanical threading clutches that are over or under adjusted on your Acme-Gridley screw machine - forcing you to compromise on part quality and tap life.
Now, you can achieve state-of-the-art tapping repeatability, reliability and quality with Logan Hi-Capacity Air Threading™ Clutches. Engagement and disengagement are so smooth and positive - Tap depth remains consistent over millions of parts.
Also, the load on your tap is uniform, prolonging the life of the tap. Fewer tool changes are necessary, shaving valuable hours from a big job. Logan also provides up to 200% more torque for heavy-duty pipe thread tapping.
Logan Hi-Capacity Air Threading™ Clutches are simple to install and available for almost every Acme ever manufactured.
Increase Productivity And Quality
- Self-AdjustingTM Disc Pack - No Slippage.
- Extremely Accurate - Uniform Thread Depth Over Millions of Parts.
- Large Cylinder - Piston Area For Maximum Torque.
- Up To 200% More Torque Than Mechanical Clutches.
Simple to Install
Convenient To Maintain
- Increase Tap Life Through Positive Clutch Engagement.
- Eliminates Mechanical Linkages Lever Arms, Adjusting Collars, Dog Levers, Spring Pins, Yokes, Clutch Sleeves, etc.
- Eliminates Mechanical Clutch Adjustment.
Cut-away view of a Logan Hi-Capacity Air Threading™ Clutch for a1-1/4 RA-6 Acme-Gridley. Utilizes existing drive cups, (clutch gears) and shaft. Fits within existing old-style mechanical clutch envelope and transmits 85% more torque.
- Direct Air Connection No linkages
- Utilizes existing clutch gears in most cases
- Gain speed and cycle time by running larger tapping jobs on smaller machines
Logan Hi-Capacity Air Threading™ Clutches
Logan Clutches: How They Work
Pressurizing the cylinder forces the piston to clamp and lock the friction and steel separator discs. When pressure is removed, release springs separate the separator discs and maintain a running clearance between separator and friction discs. The amount of pressure controls the amount of torque.
Change of speed in threading applications is accomplished through a limit switch and a solenoid-activated, directional control valve. At the prescribed depth, the limit switch is tripped by the threading slide shaft, signaling the threading clutch to change speeds. Low speed for tapping - Fast speed to back the tap out. (Left-hand threading applications require the inverse sequence).
Since Logan Clutches operate at relatively high speeds, a steady metered flow of lubrication is required over the bearing and disc pack surfaces.
Logan Air Threading™ for your Acme-Gridley
Electrical-Pneumatic Start-Up Kits
Each Logan electrical pneumatic start-up kit is designed to save you time and money during Installation. Kits are furnished with detailed schematics to simplify Installation.
Simple to Install
- Easily retrofits with all types of early and late-model screw machines.
- Field installation service is also available.
Heres How to Order
Call Logan and specify machine make and model. Provide part number and brand of clutch being replaced. If necessary, confirm bore, keyway, and axial length of duplex clutch assembly being replaced.
Logan Clutch and Brake Discs
In addition to our line of air/fluid actuated Clutches and Brakes, Logan manufactures and stocks a wide variety of friction-faced and high-carbon steel clutch discs for use in a variety of applications. Call our factory for details.
Replacement Friction and Steel Clutch Discs for:
- Twin Disc®
- Dana / Formsprag / T.B. Woods
- Carlyle Johnson and more
- Mechanical Threading Clutches
- Spindle Stopping Clutches
- Mechanical High Speed and Feed Clutches
Available as original equipment on these and other popular screw machines.
Air Threading™ Clutches
1" BRA - 6
1-5/8" BRB - 8